Monday, November 2, 2009

Dealing...

I think my quarter life crisis truly hit in May and I didn't know what to do. I couldn't help but cry uncontrollably because I honestly didn't know what was going on in my life. I imagined being at the age of 23 with a career, long term boyfriend, and long term plans for the future. Unfortunately I had none of that. I decided to take some personal time to myself to try to figure out what I was doing with my life. Even though I didn't have a major epiphany, I feel alot better with the direction that my life is heading in. Here are some of the things I did to cope:

1. Faith. Honestly, I don't know where I would have been without my faith. In the past six months, I have been to church more than I have ever in my life (Sunday, Wednesday, even random days in the middle of the week). It helps me realize that everything is in God's hands and that everything happens for a reason. Also, I began reading the Bible more. I found that the book of proverbs provided alot of wisdom and helped to keep me at ease.
2. Healthy Lifestyle. I began to walk with a friend in a local park towards the end of the summer. At first, I mainly did it to get exercise but then it turned out to be therapeutics. If I was frustrated or emotional, then walking was a time for me to clear my head. At this point, I exercise (stationary bike, treadmill, elliptical) 3-5 times a week. Most times it helps me to clear my head from my day-to-day stress.
3. Literature. I began to read alot. I read more books in a three month period than I have since hs. I read the following books: The Secret, The Power of Now, Purpose Driven Life, and Eat. Love. Pray. All of the books were very encouraging and enlightening. They just let me know that everything was okay. Everyone struggles but life is not about the struggles, its about how you overcome them.

What things help you to overcome your quarter life crisis?

1 comment: